15 things I’ve learned becoming 50: Turning 50 this year has impacted me in many ways. I’ve learned a lot by failing a lot and loving myself more.
I have a business
Today, I was inspired by Anne Lamott on a TedTalk from 2017. She wrote a list of “12 truths I learned from life and writing” upon turning 61. I am no writer, but I wanted to get my own thoughts in my journal. Today I decided to share them.
So, here is a list of a few things that I’ve learned by becoming 50:
- Unplugging something that isn’t working almost always fixes it. That includes you.
- My children make me incredibly proud and sincerely worried all at the same time. And that is o.k.
- We can’t help our friends and family by trying to “fix their problems”. They have problems that are theirs in truth and/or in their heads. The best you can do is lend an ear and a shoulder to cry on. I find giving advice is not necessarily needed or wanted. (I really should stop trying unless asked)
- Facebook isn’t the place to get the news.
- Praying for patience (my biggest work in progress) is not a good thing. I find that instead of providing the wherewithal to be more patient, God tends to put obstacles in place for us to have an opportunity to work on patience.
- Dogs are better listeners than people.
- I will never like coffee. I will never not like french fries.
- No one can copy you at anything (business or personal) because no one can ever be you.
- A good bra fitting makes all the difference in the world
- Quitting smoking and diet coke was two of the best things I’ve done for my health. Giving up diet coke was harder than giving up smoking.
- The older I get, the smarter my mom is
- To live a happier life, give up friends who are negative.
- Making mistakes is actually the BEST way to grow as a person and in your business.
- I’m not perfect and I’ll never be perfect.
- I don’t feel 50. I’ve come to realize that what you feel in your head almost never equals your age on earth. And that’ o.k.
I hope that my list inspires you to write your own list. You can read more blogs below: